Friday, November 28, 2014

Hello World!

 



"Read critically, write consciously, speak clearly, tell your truth."

-Clint Smith 

 

As a copywriter, it's my job to fill in blanks online. Where a website needs content, there I am. I've written and edited many blog posts, filled in that "about us" section, taken abstract thoughts and made them marketable. It's been my job to share someone else's story.

And in all that writing, I never considered sharing my own story. I couldn't imagine what I would write about! But, a week or two ago, I was listening to this TED talk about the dangers of keeping silent. The speaker is a teacher and he has these four core principles posted on a board in his classroom: Read critically, write consciously, speak clearly, and tell your truth. At the beginning of each year he has his students sign the board as a pledge to honor a culture of safe sharing within the classroom.

That really challenged me! Where did I fit on that spectrum?

Did I read critically? Check. My family is big on critical thinking, and I love being a responsible consumer of information. Do I write consciously? Check. Do I speak clearly? Haha. My loved ones are perhaps a little too familiar with my clarity.

But I wasn't sharing my truth. I wasn't sharing my heart, my perspectives, my experiences. I've only ever shared someone else's truth. And that's about to change

Thanks for hopping on this crazy train with me!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS